The Royal Canal Greenway from North Strand to Phibsborough will begin work soon. This is currently a well-used, but a little neglected, walking and cycling route. The upgrade will provide new greening, wider and segregated paths and a new bridge over the canal. I am excited to see this project finally underway and think it will be a huge asset for the area. However, I have a few concerns about the process and final design.
Construction will take place between February 2023 and early 2025. During this time some parts of the route will be inaccessible. The final project will make the canal side a key route on the greater Dublin Area Cycle network, removing the inaccessible kissing gates and segregating the walking and cycling paths.
A big effort is being made to save as many trees as possible along the route and to relocate trees instead of felling them. Where trees can be neither saved nor relocated some will be felled. This is due to take place between Tuesday 21st Feb and Friday 24th Feb.
Leaflets are currently being delivered to all households surrounding the effected area of the project. Information about the scheme and ongoing notices of disruption can be found here: https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/active-travel/active-travel-projects/royal-canal-greenway-phase-3
- It has been a long time since this project has been brought through the planning process and since members of the public, including residents in the surrounding streets, have had a chance to input into the project. I would like to see much more engagement with residents as the project moves forward.
- I am concerned about the impact of construction on the existing wildlife in the area. I have requested the environmental impact assessment and information about how wildlife will be protected throughout construction.
- The project will deliver a new walking and cycling bridge between Binns bridge and Cross Guns. There is another walking and cycling bridge planned under BusConnects between these two bridges. I am concerned that this is an unnecessary additional number of bridges for the area and will add to the disruption for residents.
- I have requested exact information on the number of trees being felled and the number that will be added through this scheme too.
- I would like to see the informal parking removed from the areas off St. Ignatius Parade and off Dorset Street. It can be a block to accessibility for those with prams, using wheelchairs particularly and the space could be much better used for greening interventions. I would like to see a plan for these spaces brought forward as part of this project.
- The Portland Place park is also due to be used during the construction phase of the project and should be handed back to the community in a significantly upgraded way.
- I have also requested information about whether a new entrance to the canal will be added at St. Ignatius Parade. This was discussed during earlier phases of the plan and needs clarity.
- Finally, I would like to see a review of the possibility to upgraded lighting in a wildlife friendly manner for the length of the Greenway to ensure it can be comfortably be used, even in the darker winter months.
If you have other questions at any stage during the construction of this project, please do get in touch.